You are not logged in.

Unread posts
  • "missymoo0000" started this thread

Reg: Dec 2nd 2008

Sunday, December 6th 2009, 4:25pm

sperm-egg binding problems

Hi everyone,

i have just had my first failed ivf and am trying to find out if anyone else has the same problem as us.
We had very low fertilization with alot of eggs and will now need icsi.
Initially, we were unexplained,then back in January when my DH had his sample looked at, they observed some sperms clumping together,and said that overall, we had 35% good sperm,....enough to result in a pregnancy, however, he also pointed out that the 'clumping' of the sperm could get worse or indicate infection or antisperm antibodies,but prior to egg collection, everything seemed normal again.
The embryologist noted that my eggs, had, at most 2 to 3 sperm surrounding them, normally she would expect to see hundreds, and that the rest of the sperm were just swimming around and doing their own thing. She concluded that there was an egg-sperm recognition problem, that we needed icis, but with no garuntees it would not happen again-I was devestated and am very nervous about our next cycle.
I have done tonnes and tonnes of research and have found that it alll come down to a biochemical issue.
It would be great to hear from others who have encountered the same problem, as it doesn't seem to be a common thing. ;(
ttc 6 years-previously unexplained.
ivf nov 09-27 eggs/22 mature-1 fertilized.
slow 2 cell 2 day e/t-BFN.
Hoping to do ICSI approx feb/march 2010

Reg: Apr 19th 2008

Sunday, December 6th 2009, 4:51pm

RE: sperm-egg binding problems

I know how nervous you must be feeling about your next tx. We had zero fert on our 1st IVF. There was no explanation of why it had happend other than the dish had been infected by ecoli (?). Our second tx was ICSI because of the previous zero fert and we had a low fert rate and they were slow. Prior to our 3rd tx we had a bacteriology test done on dh sperm and they found ecoli, so the 2nd tx was never going to work. This was easily treated and resulted in 100% fert of my eggs. Althuogh having ecoli in sperm is not common, it is common to return after treating. You mention 'infection' in your post, ask your consultant about a bacteriology test, it is not a standard test and will not be carried out unless requested

As you will know from reading our zero fert thread, once youve had zero or low fert Im afraid you always worry about the call to tell you how many have fert. Its a normal thing to worry once youve had a zero or low fert

I hope this has helped

xx
:cat:

1x IVF zero fert, 2x ICSI BFN, 1x FET BFN, 1x ICSI early loss

March 2010, FET , :BFP:, we have a little princess x

This post has been edited 1 times, last edit by "Gemma1" (Dec 6th 2009, 4:52pm)

• "missymoo0000" started this thread

Reg: Dec 2nd 2008

Sunday, December 6th 2009, 6:48pm

Hey Gemma1!!!!Hope you are keeping well!
-All i can remember is the consultant saying something about raised 'white' blood cells i think, which is when he started saying about antibodies or infection, he even went as far to say that if got worse, we might need icsi and not ivf......this was all back in January when we had the first consultation-I guess it all came back normal though as just before egg collection, they said no white blood cells found and the sample was just above average so proceeded with ivf-I remember you saying about the ecoli on the other thread, and it's definately something that i am going to get looked into,atleast we can have peace of mind if it comes back normal-Just out of interest, will his G.P do this test for him?
xxx
ttc 6 years-previously unexplained.
ivf nov 09-27 eggs/22 mature-1 fertilized.
slow 2 cell 2 day e/t-BFN.
Hoping to do ICSI approx feb/march 2010

Reg: Apr 19th 2008

Sunday, December 6th 2009, 7:10pm

I dont know if his GP would do it or not, you would have to ask. We only had confirmation of the ecoli 10 day before ec, and antibiotics sorted it out no problem. We paid private for the test and it was no more expensive than a normal sperm test

As for ICSI, we got told that it is standard to go for ICSI after a zero fert so dont worry to much about this

There isnt a lot out there about zero fert so I know how you must be feeling. Because it isnt common our consultant couldnt really tell us much as to why, when, how.

Ask your GP, they might help you out

xx
:cat:

1x IVF zero fert, 2x ICSI BFN, 1x FET BFN, 1x ICSI early loss

March 2010, FET , :BFP:, we have a little princess x

FERTILITYZONE

MEDHURST – PROUD HOSTS OF FERTILITYZONE