You are not logged in.

Unread posts

Dear visitor, welcome to FertilityZone . If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains in detail how this page works. To use all features of this page, you should consider registering. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

• "lillia" started this thread

Reg: Jan 26th 2009

Tuesday, November 24th 2009, 11:31am

IVM & OHSS

Hi ladies,
I suffered from severe OHSS which was horriffic and was in and out of hospital for the last 6 months I had to terminate my pregnancy and have just had laparotomy to remove my left ovary & adhesions due to infection after paracentesis to drain fluid from my abdomen due to the OHSS.

My question is - would IVM be an option? I am 35 and terrified of getting OHSS again and worried that with 1 ovary my chances are too slim?
Vas reversal sept 08 - failed
1st ICSI july 09 severe OHSS, pregnancy ended at 12 weeks :bawl:
Nov 09 laparotomy to remove ovary
2010 2nd ICSI low drug dose, 3 eggs, only one embie - :BFN: :tear:
Cant afford more tx :-(

• "lillia" started this thread

Reg: Jan 26th 2009

Tuesday, November 24th 2009, 11:37am

Sorry ladies just answered my own question from the oxford website, have pasted it below, anyone know if 1 ovary reduces your chances?

In January 2007 we were the first unit in the country to be licenced by the HFEA to offer in-vitro maturation (IVM). Our first IVM babies were born on 18th October 2007, these twins are the first IVM babies to be born in the UK.

IVM is a suitable alternative to standard IVF for women up to 38 years of age who have polycystic ovaries. It is also safer (no risk of ovarian hyperstimulation syndrome), cheaper (no need to buy fertility drugs) and the treatment cycle much shorter than stimulated IVF.

Historically the success rates of IVM have been lower than IVF at 25% compared to 45%. However, since being granted the licence, we have achieved a pregnancy rate of 35% for the first 40 cases, and 48% for women up to 35 years of age.

The procedure involves taking immature eggs from unstimulated ovaries and then maturing them in the laboratory followed by their fertilisation using ICSI. Embryos are then transferred to the womb a few days later. The egg collection is performed in the same way as a standard IVF collection.

Around 400 babies have been born from IVM worldwide and to date there have been no safety concerns.
Vas reversal sept 08 - failed
1st ICSI july 09 severe OHSS, pregnancy ended at 12 weeks :bawl:
Nov 09 laparotomy to remove ovary
2010 2nd ICSI low drug dose, 3 eggs, only one embie - :BFN: :tear:
Cant afford more tx :-(

Ros

Megastar

Reg: Mar 14th 2008

Children: twin girls thanks to PGD!

Tuesday, November 24th 2009, 4:46pm

Hi Lillia, I'm sorry to hear what an awful experience you've had from OHSS. I don't know if IVM is affected by 1 ovary but I would guess that you could call Oxford and ask them your questions?
Is there any way you could do IVF/ICSI but with a really low dose of drugs to help prevent another bout of OHSS? I guess if you're looking into IVM that would solve the problem too. All the best x

After 5 years of endo surgery, clomid, 2 x MM/C, 2 x ICSI cycles and 1 PGD cycle,
beautiful twin girls born 8th Feb 2010, we are so grateful

Reg: Oct 21st 2008

Tuesday, November 24th 2009, 4:53pm

Hi Lillia,

I think you went to Bath clinic before didn't you? I went there and my last second ICSI I don't think I will go back to Bath again as I had a fairly horrendous egg collection. Just wanted to say we are looking at Oxford and I have looked into IVM, its worth a shot I think as I have PCOS (only mild) but I always worry about overstimulating even though I havent been through what you have.

Good luck with your go and maybe we may meet at Oxford!!

Julesxxx
1st ICSI -May 2009 BFN
2nd ICSI -Oct 2009 BFN
Took a break
3rd ICSI - Dec 2010 - BFP - Ruby born 13th September 2011

1 user apart from you is browsing this thread:

1 guests

FERTILITYZONE