You are not logged in.

Unread posts

The guest access to this forum was limited. Overall there are 25 Postings in this thread.
To read them all you should register yourself.

• "RaceyMacey" started this thread

Reg: May 4th 2009

Monday, May 4th 2009, 5:58pm

Improve Sperm Morphology and Motility

My DH has had 2 SAs. The first came back as low motility.

The second SA was carried out 2 months later and the motility was normal, but morphology was only 5%.

This has left us with a number of questions:
we do all the right things according to the books (we don't drink, don't smoke, eat healthily and exercise) so why the problem?
how has the motility improved, but morphology worsened?
what can we do to improve the situation (DH has already started taking supplements and wearing loose boxer shorts)?

Any advice would be helpful!

Thanks,

Reg: May 2nd 2007

Children: A boy and a girl, both living in London

Monday, May 4th 2009, 8:01pm

Hi R-M and DH,

The sperm picture can vary quite greatly from week to week and month to month, for known reasons and unknown reasons. If he had a mild dose of flu over Christmas that could have been enough to reduce his sperm motility, but a couple of months on, this phase of poor sperm has passed on and his motility has improved. It might be that the laboratory delayed examining the first specimen and then reported a poorer motility as a result. Do you know how much difference there was between these two specimens, in terms of motility and morphology? If it was only a small difference then it could be within experimental error. The normal range for morphology depends upon what criteria is used to assess morphology, and by Kruger Classification 5% is not that much below the normal range, surprisingly.

So you need to have more information about the results, a copy of the actual reports is preferred; they need to have been done by a good laboratory with an interest in fertility, rather than the average hospital path lab; you need to think what was happening to him in the three months prior to each semen analysis, including any prolonged stressful episode; morphology and motility are both reduced if there has been periods of longer than 6 days abstention, so think about this also.

As to why there would be sperm problems, 1 in 10 men have some degree of reduction in sperm numbers or sperm quality, it is very common - and it happens as much to healthy happy men as it does to those less so. But such men can still be fertile, perhaps a little less so, and pregnancies can still happen especially if the wife is better than average fertile to compensate, although it may take longer than average. So if there is a sperm problem (and there may not be) then you need to be looked at also.

Think about the above and come back with any further question.

Paul
Fertility Scientist and Andrologist
Fertility Counsellor, Holistic Therapist and Hypnotherapist
Providing Fertility Information, Assessment and Enhancement.
Natural family planning teacher.

Laura75

Reg: Jun 9th 2009

Children: 2 kids

Monday, June 22nd 2009, 5:23pm

Poor morphology and heated car seats?

Dear Paul,

This is the first time i have used your site and i hope i am posting in the right place. My husband and i have two children, both conceived very easily (one month for both!). We have been trying for our third child for one year. I had two c-sections which were both fine with no problems. My husband had an SA done and had 150 million count, 65% motility but 6% morphology on the Krueger scale. The only thing that we have done differently since our second child is that we got a new car with heated car seats and used them a lot! Could this change his morphology? Also viscosity was stated as "high". I am 33 so not that young anymore and hubby is 32. I hope you can help us understand what the problem is. Many thanks,

Reg: May 2nd 2007

Children: A boy and a girl, both living in London

Monday, June 22nd 2009, 10:58pm

RE: Poor morphology and heated car seats?

Hi Laura,

I have just replied to your PM to me, on this same subject.

I hope that this answers your questions.

If you would like me to copy this PM reply to this post for the information of others, I will do so.

Let me know what you think.

Paul
Fertility Scientist and Andrologist
Fertility Counsellor, Holistic Therapist and Hypnotherapist
Providing Fertility Information, Assessment and Enhancement.
Natural family planning teacher.

Laura75

Reg: Jun 9th 2009

Children: 2 kids

Tuesday, June 23rd 2009, 8:32am

Poor morphology and heated car seats

Hi Paul, Please go ahead and post. Who knows maybe someone else has the same problem! I tried to reply to you but your inbox is full. Thank you so much for your reply. I think your point about relaxing is a good one. I am super stressed about this. Do you work from London (we move to London in September) ? We would be very happy to make an appointment with you for hypnotherapy! I have one last question. I have pains four to five days every month following ovulation. Do you know what could cause this? It is always my sign that we have been unsuccessful (again). Thanks again. Laura

The guest access to this forum was limited. Overall there are 25 Postings in this thread.
To read them all you should register yourself.

FERTILITYZONE

MEDHURST – PROUD HOSTS OF FERTILITYZONE