You are not logged in.

Unread posts
  • "ArthursMummy" started this thread

Reg: May 12th 2008

Children: Arthur, born 30 November 2006

Tuesday, October 27th 2009, 4:40pm

IUI with Clomid vs Injectibles whats the difference?

Hi everyone

We're planning on having IUI with Clomid in December and I'm just wondering what the difference is between that and the injectibles version.

The reaosn we're having IUI is because DH has a low sperm count (14 mill/ml) not because I don't ovulate or have any problems such as PCOS. We opted for Clomid as thats the cheapest and seemingly simplest form, thinking we'd start at the bottom and work our way up. But I'm wondering what the difference between the two forms is. Is one more effective than the other. Does it make sense to hyperstimulate me seeing as I'm not the one with the "problem" so to speak - would it not just increase the risk of multiples? Or would hyperstimulation make it easier for the few spermies to actually get to an egg?

Rene

Lone wolf

South Africa

Reg: Oct 3rd 2005

Children: one gorgeous boy

What's Up?
I have PMA
I'm Positive that
I am Mental
and I know I have Attitude

Tuesday, October 27th 2009, 7:07pm

Hi, Hun
I think what is used should really depend on how you respond to the drugs. Of course different clinics have different views on this. The clinic I attended (which is not in the UK) advised that I start with Clomid and, because of PCOS, I did not respond to it. I then had Clomid WITH injectables and it did eventually work resulting in my little man (or is that monster). I did not have a cycle in which I did not use Clomid but I also did not have a cycle where I had to downregulate as seems to be the preference in the UK when using injectables.

If you are ovulating regularly then I think that Clomid would be a good starting point. If you produce the one or two follicles needed for IUI then perfect.

Thing is that both Clomid and injectables can result in multiple follicles and multiple pregnancies. Having multiple follicles/eggs could lead to cancellation of a cycle as many clinics will not do IUI if you have more than 2 (sometimes 3) follicles regardless of what the sperm count is unlike the US where it seems that you can have 10 follicles and still proceed at some clinics???

What is important is that you find what works for YOU!!!

Good luck, Hun

Edited to add: I see that your little man is just 6 days younger than mine!!!

PCOS, hypothyroid - on thyroxine, aspirin and Met
Lap/Ovarian Drilling Oct 2005
DIUI X5 + 2 abandoned cycles (total 7 cycles)
:BFP: 22 March 2006 - Connor Born 24 November 2006 - unplanned c-section
At 3 and a half C finally gave up the boob!

FERTILITYZONE

MEDHURST – PROUD HOSTS OF FERTILITYZONE