You are not logged in.

Unread posts

The guest access to this forum was limited. Overall there are 8 Postings in this thread.
To read them all you should register yourself.

znc7878

• "znc7878" started this thread

Reg: Aug 2nd 2006

Thursday, August 24th 2006, 11:02am

Poor motility

Can someone tell me what percentage is considered poor motility? My BF has been told he had a 40% motility on the first test and slightly higher on the 2nd test. I also have PCOS so we've been told we need to have IVF (with an attempt at IUI whilst we're waiting).

The cons said there wasn't any point in me taking clomid because of BF's problem, but surely with a few health and lifestyle improvements as suggested on this website, there's still a possibility we can conceive naturally (with me on clomid).

Any advice would be grately received.

Reg: Oct 3rd 2005

Thursday, August 24th 2006, 11:23am

Hi znc

My ex partner had poor motility and it was around 30%. Normal motility is only around 50% I think - I remember because I though it would make sense for normal motility to be 100%, but it isn't.

I can't remember the exact percentage. I do know there are a lot of websites out there with this info on.

Yep, just checked - 50% is considered normal motility. There are lots of things that he can do to improve the motility as you will read on the websites.

Hope this has helped.
LR
Me 32, hypothyroid,
I have 2 beautiful boys 8 & 6, and one beautiful girl
1st ICSI - 15 eggs - Oct 05 - BFN
2nd ICSI - 22 eggs - egg sharer -Feb 2006 - BFN
I'm a single parent.

znc7878

• "znc7878" started this thread

Reg: Aug 2nd 2006

Thursday, August 24th 2006, 11:31am

Hi,

Thank you for your reply. That does sound like positive news. I had a feeling the cons was being far too cautious about things by referring us for IVF without letting me try clomid first.

I'm sure his problem is not as bad as the cons has made out and with a little bit of nagging from me he can make some improvements to help them swim a bit better!

I went back to my GP, who needs to ask the cons, if we can try clomid whilst we wait for IUI/IVF, so hopefully the cons will say yes. I don't see the harm in it myself.

Do you have any links to websites regarding poor motility?

Thanks again.

Z

Thursday, August 24th 2006, 11:36am

Z

Here are a few:

www.betterhealth.vic.gov.au/bhcv2/bhcArticles.nsf/(Pages)/Infertility_male?OpenDocument

http://adam.about.com/reports/000067_2.htm

www.babycentre.com

Alernatively, you can just 'Google' poor sperm motility, like I did.

Good luck
LR
Me 32, hypothyroid,
I have 2 beautiful boys 8 & 6, and one beautiful girl
1st ICSI - 15 eggs - Oct 05 - BFN
2nd ICSI - 22 eggs - egg sharer -Feb 2006 - BFN
I'm a single parent.

Children: DS#1 (clomid) 1999 -vb - DS#2 (natural BFP) c-sec

Thursday, August 24th 2006, 11:58am

Z

As you can see from my ticker - my DH also has low motility and always has done and I have PCOS. I was prescribed clomid back in 1998 and got a BFP on my 2nd cycle and now have a 7 year old son. We tried for another baby when Callum was about 1 1/2 and had 11 more cycles of clomid but unfortunately they were all BFN's - we also tried one IUI but as DH's motility was so low my consultant said there was no point in continuing with it and that our only option was ICSI (said IVF was not an option due to motility). I changed consultants and after a while of ttc naturally went to see my consultant again and arranged to go back and see him in Dec 05 to discuss ICSI in depth before going down that route - but didn't have to go back as somehow we got a natural BFP in September 05 and I now have another beautiful baby :].

Even if your consultant is going to put you on the waiting list for IVF/ICSI I'd def. say it's worth trying clomid - apart from going slightly bonkers for a few months you've nothing to lose.

xx

Elaine
DS#1 FEB 1999 (CLOMID)
DS#2 MAY 2006 - MIRACLE !!

The guest access to this forum was limited. Overall there are 8 Postings in this thread.
To read them all you should register yourself.

FERTILITYZONE

MEDHURST – PROUD HOSTS OF FERTILITYZONE